Monday, April 25, 2011

Attraction Spotlight: Tower of Terror!


Gonna try and make this a new feature, though it may just post randomly!!

Tower of Terror is my absolute favorite ride in the world...not just Disney world, the whole ENTIRE planet!

I remember the first time I went on a drop ride. I was 14 I think. I was visiting my mom in California and we went to a local amusement park and went on one. I was hooked!! Loved the free-fall feeling and the swirl in my belly! Such a rush!!!!

But it wasn't until 2000 (almost 10 years later) that I rode Tower of Terror and it's multiple drops in the same ride!

The decor and ambiance of the Hollywood Tower Hotel blew me away, first and foremost. It was so eerie and so authentic. It really felt like I had entered a building that had suddenly been abandoned...everything still in the same places the guests had left them with cobwebs and dust covering them. Then we went to the library and watched the Twilight Zone movie. So so cool!!

Next was the boiler room, another eerie place where you feel like you shouldn't be there. The Cast Members do such a great job of acting the part of an employee in a haunted hotel.

Then we finally boarded our elevator car, anticipation built as we traveled to the top making a couple stops on the way.

The air inside the ride is cool...air conditioned for the Florida heat. But as your car moves into the drop shaft in complete darkness, you're hit with the warmth. And then you sit there for a second or two or three until the ride starts. You drop, then soar upwards and drop again. Sometimes you stop, catch your breath and then go back up or down again! You never know! I love when the car soars upwards and without stopping, changes direction and falls again, the seat restraints pulling you down before gravity gets the chance. So so awesome!

2 comments:

  1. That one freaked me out because you didn't know when the next drop was coming or how far it would be. But I did the Hulk one at Islands of Adventure and swore, as I was getting off, that I would never do a drop ride again. I just did NOT enjoy it...and if it doesn't give you some kind of thrill, what's the point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) For me, that is a total thrill!!! But I know not everyone likes those rides...my dad loves roller coasters but not drop rides. We're all going to Disney in November and he has already said he will not go on it.

    We haven't been to Universal yet...waiting til our youngest is tall enough to go on all the rides.

    ReplyDelete